NOTE: I always acknowledge an Email submission. If you've sent something in and don't hear back from me after a couple of days, send again or check with Tom. I let him know if I expect to be away from the computer for any extended period of time.
|1) Reason for a Neighborhood Party:|| 4th of July/Holiday 5, Birthday 1, Olympics 1, Moon Landing
1, Housewarming 1, Barbecue 1|
|2) Favorite Hangout After School :|| Diner 3, Ice Cream Parlor/Milk Bar/Soda Shop 3, Village Hall
1, Mall 1, Friend's House 1, Bowling Alley 1|
|3) Organization Adults Belonged To :|| PTA 3, Elks Lodge 2, Church 1, Masons 1, Veterans Group 1,
Bowling League 1, Rotary 1|
|4) Organization/Group Children Belonged To :|| Scouts 10|
|5) Favorite Vacation Trip :||Seaside/Beach 4, Camping 2, Rocky Mtns/Grand Canyon 2, Disneyland 1, Summer Camp 1|
|Categories||Reason for a Neighborhood Party||Favorite Hangout After School||Organization Adults Belonged To||Organization/Group Children Belonged To||Favorite Vacation Trip|
|01)||Doug Kent||Holiday||Diner||Elks Lodge||Scouts||Grand Canyon||=||89||+||22||=||
|02)||Fred Davis||[[no entry received]]||=||92||+||17||=||109|
|03)||Kevin Wilson||4th of July||Diner||PTA||Scouts||Disneyland||=||85||+||22||=||107|
|Jim Reader||4th of July||Diner||Masons||Scouts||Seaside||=||84||+||23||=|| 107|
|05)||David Partridge||Barbecue||Soda Shop||Rotary||Scouts||Beach||=||87||+||19||=||106|
|06)||Tom's Mom||Olympics,||Ice Cream Parlor||Veteran's,||Scouts||Camping||=||88||+||17||=||105|
|07)||Brendan Whyte||Moon Landing||Milk Bar||PTA,||Scouts||Summer Camp||=||84||+||18||=||102|
|08)||Tim & Sarah Snyder||Housewarming||Friend's House||PTA||Scouts||Beach||=||81||+||19||=||100|
|09)||Tom Howell||4th of July||Bowling Alley||Bowling League||Scouts||Camping||=||76||+||19||=||95|
|10)||Mark Stretch||Birthday||Village Hall||Church||Scouts||Seaside||=||71||+||17||=|| 88|
|11)||Ward Narhi||Holiday,||Mall||Elks Lodge||Scouts,||Rocky Mtns||=||42||+||20||=||62|
|12)||Mark Nelson||[[no entry received]]||=||42||+||17||=||59|
Top Score Possible: 25 Top Score Achieved 23 by Jim Reader
1) Reason for a Neighborhood Party: I don't recall many
Neighborhod Parties in the suburb I grew up in. The closest was probably
Halloween when many houses had displays and some really made a production
of it. I recall the person who became my high school band teacher, one
year, created a "mad scientist" lair with a Frankenstein and was giving out
a greenish punch to visitors. For the 4th, some families got together for
sparklers and such. As for the Moon Landing, I remember setting on the
floor in front of our black and white TV seeing the feed, but no parties or
2) Favorite Hangout After School: In my case (I ended the decade at 9 years old), a friend's house was the hangout or the backyard. Sometimes we'd go to the drugstore down the street to get candy and comics.
3) Organization Adults Belonged To: In my past, PTA was big with civic (Rotary and such) and veteran groups next line. Fraternal organizations weren't that noticable.
4) Organization/Group Children Belonged To: Yep, Scouts was expected to be the number one choice. Even I was a member, but briefly. However, I had expected a church group to get a mention.
5) Favorite Vacation Trip: Our vacations were road trips (which I would have answered). We did some camping with a pop-up camper through the Northeast and Canada. Then, there were trips to my grandfather's hunting cabin/spread (no hunting though). We did do Disneyland one summer, primarily staying in a great aunt's condo in Ft. Lauderdale at the end of the road trip.
1) Reason for a Neighborhood Party: [Tom's Mom] Since "party"
seems to me to be a celebration I did not think a neighborhood getting
together to morn President Kennedy's Death appropriate. [Tom] Tough
one. I'll stick with the 4th, but won't be at all surprised if football
game wins! [Brendan] ??? you need a reason? A send off for someone
enlisting to fight in Vietnam? The seizing of power in Bolivia by a
pro-American dictator-for-life-that-will-actually-be-about-3-months? But
seriously, the First Man on the Moon!
2) Favorite Hangout After School: [Brendan] or am I too 50s here?
3) Organization Adults Belonged To: [Brendan] PTA (Harper Valley of course!). You did say 'parents' here, or I would have said Buffalos/Druids/Friendly Society/Masons/Lodge a la the Flintstones.
4) Organization/Group Children Belonged To: [Brendan] or 4H, Boys Brigade, or one of those other wanna-be scout organizations.
5) Favorite Vacation Trip: [Tom] Specifically, car camping, as opposed to backpacking. Completely different animals. (In backpacking, the bears one meets are much less likely to be interested in filching a meal off one (most years)). [Brendan] Christmas vacation? Thanksgiving vacation? Easter vacation? I think you mean the where rather than the when, so how about 'summer camp' a la all those teen horror movies, and that song "hello mudda, hello fadda, here I am at Camp Grenanda' (but that was probably 40s or 50s, not 60s).
1) Best Chain Store
2) New Speciality Produce Item
3) Favorite Cut of Meat
4) Common Non-food Department
5) Brand of Canned Good
And, due to popular demand, Email your next entries to Andy York