NOTE: I always acknowledge an Email submission. If you've sent something in and don't hear back from me after a couple of days, send again or check with Tom. I let him know if I expect to be away from the computer for any extended period of time.
Sixth Round - Occupations
|1)||Occupation that will make you Rich:||Attorney/Lawyer 8, CEO 2, Banker 1, Computer Inventor 1, Doctor 1, Bush Campaign Contributor 1, Engineer 1|
|2)||Service Occupation:||Waitress/Waiter 5, Doctor 2, Nurse 2, Soldier/Military 2, Attorney 1, Computer Programmer 1, Medic 1, Vending Machine Serviceperson 1|
|3)||Occupation needing a Doctorate:||Doctor 7, Professor/Academic 6, Attorney 1, Superintendent 1|
|4)||Despised Occupation:||Attorney/Lawyer 10, Politician 3, Garbage Collector 1, Miner 1|
|5)||Licensed Occupation:||Attorney/Lawyer 5, Doctor 5, Electrician 1, Barber 1, Truck Driver 1, Nurse 1, Airline Pilot 1|
|05)||Brendan Whyte||Lawyer,||Computer Programmer||Professor||Lawyer,||Lawyer||=123+30=153|
|06)||Tom's Mom||CEO||Waitress,||Doctor||Garbage Collector,||Electrician||=130+16=146|
|07)||Bill Scharf||Bush Contributor,||Waiter||Professor||Lawyer,||Doctor||=117+27=144|
|09)||Fred Davis||Computer Inventor,||Waitperson||Doctor||Lawyer,||Barber||=103+24=127|
|11)||Brent McKee||[no entry received]||=110+7=117|
|12)||Kevin Wilson||Attorney,||Attorney||Attorney||Attorney,||Attorney||= 91+25=116|
|13)||Jon Fetter||[no entry received]||=89+7=96|
|15)||Brad Martin||[no entry received]||=74+7=81|
|Bart Denny||[no entry received]||=74+7=81|
|17)||Doug Kent||Lawyer||Medic,||Professor||Lawyer||Truck Driver||=43+26=69|
|19)||John Wilman||[no entry received]||=50+7=57|
|20)||Mike Ashley||Engineer,||Vending Servicer||Superintendent||Politician,||Pilot||=43+7=50|
Top Score Possible: 35 Top Score Achieved 34 (byTim)
1) Occupation that will make you Rich: I had expected lawyer as the
top vote getter, but expected Professional Sports Player and Entertainer to
grab to grab second and third places (but, no votes?).
2) Service Occupation: As anticipated, waiter/waitress took first place but, again, what I had thought would be in second place (bartender) didn't even get a vote. I'd also expected a showing by maid and babysitter, but no takers.
3) Occupation needing a Doctorate: On the other hand, this category was exactly what I'd thought would happen - a split between doctor and professor with a few others one-shots.
4) Despised Occupation: At the top, I thought, would be used-car salesman followed by lawyers. But, no takers again.
5) Licensed Occupation: I really had no idea how this would turn out. A very interesting turn out....
Player Comments on the Round -
1) Occupation that will make you Rich: [Mike] #1 is terrible.
I can't think of any occupation that guarantees wealth. For example, I know
at least two surgeons whose net worth is less than one year of my income.
2) Service Occupation: [Bill] geez...military service? service industry? What will most people choose...how about waiter/waitress?
3) Occupation needing a Doctorate: [Jim] I should put Chemist as I have a Ph.D. in Chemistry, but I don't think anyone else will go for this.
4) Despised Occupation: [Bill] I'd vote lawyer - telemarketing and used car salesmen are close...although I blame telemarketing on the companies that us it....not the poor saps on the phone....
5) Licensed Occupation: [Tom] although, I also think masseuse (or as they are now known locally, "licensed massage practitioner") will get a few hits. Lots of choices here, hair dresser,.....
General Player Letters/Comments:
[Mike] Unfortunately, nobody has taken me up on my challenge to
swell in the cellar. No matter, I'm sure I'm confusing everybody
(especially myself) over in Skokomish River II.
[Dave] Good set of topics this time, I think we'll get some variance. Would have done better last time if I'd noticed that "enlisted" qualification, I just noted Marine and dashed off General again.
[Fred] Some of these were tough categories. For item 4 I was thinking of saying "Used Car Salesman."
Seventh Round - Measurements
1) Unit of Liquid Measurement
2) Dry Measurement Unit
3) Weight Measurement Unit
4) Measurement used with Electricity
5) Measurement used in Astronomy
And, due to popular demand, Email your next entries to Andy York